Fall is my absolute favorite season of the year! Autumn brings in new fruit and vegetables, as well as fall foliage. There’s just something about cozying up with a cuppa tea (or coffee or hot cocoa) and a book (or Netflix).
I think it’s completely acceptable to eat fruit crumble for breakfast. It’s got oats and fruit! That being said, I have been a bit out of practice in developing recipes this year. We launched our baking business amidst a pandemic, built a website and attended markets all summer long. Whew, what a busy time! Now that we are back test baking in our kitchen, we have some new recipes to share with you.
As always, our recipes are nut-free and can easily be adapted for gluten-free folks. So, today we have for you a spiced peach crumble tart with a beetroot infused tart base. As I write this recipe, I realize there are many components but it is so worth every step of the process! If you happen to have excess parts, they can easily be adapted for other treats! *I recommend making the poached peaches and pastry cream in advance.
Makes 6 (4inch) tarts or 1 9′ tart
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or GF 1:1 flour)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold (or plant-based butter)
1 large egg yolk
2 tsps heavy cream or milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsps beetroot blend powder from Blume (https://itsblume.com/collections/latte-mix/products/beetroot-blend)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
*if you don’t have beetroot powder, you can use 2 tsps beet juice replacing the heavy cream and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions for crust
- Place flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix.
- Add in the butter in cubes and use a pastry blender or two knives to mix into the dry ingredients.
- Once the mixture is a coarse meal, add in the egg yolk, heavy cream/milk, vanilla, beetroot powder + cinnamon and mix until the ingredients stick together.
- Wrap the dough in a disk and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll out the dough and press into the tart pans (about 1/8″ thick), trim the edges.
- Place onto a baking tray and cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool before removing from tart tin.
Poached Peaches Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups of water
1/2 cup white wine
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
6 medium sized peaches, halved
Directions for Poached peaches
- Using a dutch oven or large pot, add the sugar, water, wine, vanilla extract and cinnamon stick. Over medium heat, stir until the sugar is dissolved and bring to a simmer.
- Add in peaches, cut side up and in a single layer. Bring mixture to a simmer and remove from heat. Turn peaches over and cover the pot. Allow to cool.
- Peel the peach skins off and remove pits.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup All purpose (or GF 1:1) flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda in a bowl. Add in the melted butter and mix until you get a crumble.
- In a shallow baking tray, lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, bake at 350F for 15-16 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
Pastry Cream – https://www.theflavorbender.com/creme-patissiere-vanilla-pastry-cream/#recipe or other recipe of choice.
Assembling the tarts
- Fill the tart shell with a layer of pastry cream (using a pastry bag or soon) and smoothing it out into an even layer.
- Add the poached peach half with the flat side down and then gently pushing it into the pastry cream.
- Sprinkle crumble around the edge where the pastry cream is exposed.
- Enjoy your delicious treat!