Rice krispie squares are one of my favourite childhood snacks. I wanted to make rice puff treats that were a bit healthier to snack on so I put a spin on the classic recipe. These treats are perfect for hikes, school, work or any occasion really. These treats can also be gluten free if you use GF rice puff cereal.
4 Tbsps salted butter (or unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp salt)
4 1/2 -5 cups of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder (I used Camino cacao powder)
1/4 cup cacao nibs (I used Hummingbird chocolate)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or seed/nut of choice
4 1/2 cups rice puff cereal
- Prep a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper and grease or just grease your pan.
- In a heatproof bowl, add butter, marshmallows and cacao powder. Heat in microwave for 30 second intervals on 50% heat. Mix your ingredients and once they are sticky and gooey, it’s ready!
- Stir in rice puff cereal, cacao nibs and pumpkin seeds. Once these ingredients are coated and sticky, they are ready to pour into your pan.
- Pour the mixture into your pan and flatten out as best you can.
- Let it cool for 2 hours before cutting into it.